Thursday, January 22, 2009

Background on my experience with tweaking/hacking HTC phones

On my older HTC Wizard/AT&T 8125, I ran a custom (AKA hacked) Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM. Originally I ran the AT&T WM 5.0 ROM that came with it, but when WM 6.0 came out, AT&T decided they didn't want to support this older phone with upgraded software. But it was still a great phone with wireless, a slide out keyboard, Web access, MP3 player and more. So I began snooping around Web forums and found a huge loose network of people that absolutely love HTC phones and hacking and tweaking them. The programmers and hackers at xda-developers.com, in particular, have spent countless hours improving HTC phones with altered, updated and new software, as well as providing wonderful support, software, instructions and encouragement for anyone willing to tinker with their phone.

So after reading for a few hours, I dove in. I ripped everything off my Wizard, loaded a very basic set up with unlocked CID, then loaded a hacked Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM. It worked flawlessly and I loved the new ROM, it was streamlined, had a cool dark theme, and had some additional software I found useful. When I was finally able to upgrade my phone with AT&T again, I weighed my options... I could get a cool looking iPhone like everyone and their brother had and buy all my apps through the iTunes store, or I could resist the trend and go with another HTC smartphone and have a much wider variety of apps and software I could add to it. I decided pretty quickly to go with HTC, then chose a refurbed Tilt since it was only $99, as opposed to the newer Fuse which was $299.

No comments:

Post a Comment